Friday, June 20, 2008

Mayor Mark plays the Violin Card on the ADN Blog

The following is a post made on the ADN by our Mayor Mark Begichand my response to his comments.

June 19, 2008 - 6:22pm mbegich
i
do

I just wanted comment on what you said you were looking for. I do
write the checks in the family to pay the bills you described; both my wife and
I do the shopping, I do the repairs in the house and many other things. Just a
short story when Jacob, our son was born we had no insurance to cover his birth,
something many Alaskans face. It took us several months to pay it off and we
were thankful there were no serious issues with his birth. This gives me a very
different view of health insurance and what people face. Why I mention this to
you is I hope it gives you a better understanding of who I am as a person, not
what that media or opponents claim. We experience challenges like many Alaskan
families. This is one of many unique experiences that will help me as a Senator.

I have never enriched my self on the taxpayer dime or through the public
service I have done.
reply flag this »

June 20, 2008 - 1:51am tlamb775
Violins off in
the distance:

DINK (Dual income no kids) and no insurance.
For those
who have been laid-off and had to purchase COBRA, we don't feel your pain.

Mayor are you saying in a dual income family such as yourself, you could
not afford to pay health insurance. You did say you paid it off in several
months.

A little advice, my mother who is 73 years old, a retired
teacher of 20 years and living on a fixed income buys her own health insurance
from Blue Cross.

Yes this story does tell us much about you.


Now in July 2002, the Mayor's son was born. However, in 2002 Mayor Begich sold his business to Vend Alaska.

"...After successfully operating and growing the business for 11 years, they sold it to Vend Alaska in 2002." (Source: ADN Begich responds Sean Cockrham April 10, 2008 - 1:17 pm)

Too poor to pay for health insurance? Don't think so. The gist of his post was to make himself seem like the many Alaskans who can't afford health insurance.

Well like many Alaskans we don't have ties with Real Estate investors either. What did the Mayor do in 2002 when he stated he didn't have insurance to cover the cost of his sons birth?

"...Begich advocated for the zoning change, but at the same time, he too was a partner with Rubini and Hyde in the Calais building. The mayor bought a stake in 2002 and sold it last year for a $20,000 profit. " (Source: KTUU Channel 2 news Begich played role in Archives land buyJason Moore August 1st, 2007)

Mayor hate to tell you, your experiences fall short of the reality for most Alaskans. And many choose to pay for health insurance even when they can.

No comments: