Tuesday, September 02, 2008

New York Times bites and Palin nets a flounder

For those of you at the New York Times, you need to get on a plane and understand politics in Alaska. It is real easy to google the Alaska Independence Party.

Moreover, check the facts next time. http://www.akip.org/

You would have been able to at least look at who they have endorsed for president. It wasn't McCain.

Palin was not in the AIP as you folks found out, but Wally Hickel was and was elected Governor.

The Alaska Independence Party does have in part, the secession platform, but for the most part, it isn't taken seriously.

The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote it was entitled to in 1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives:

1) Remain a Territory.
2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.
3) Accept Commonwealth status.
4) Become a State.

The AIP argues legal theories that the Statehood Act was incorrectly ratified and as such should be put to a legal vote. If Palin had been a member at one time, it would just merely show she has an independent streak. Moreover, name one candidate that will subscribe to the entire platform of the party.

I met this woman for the first time when she and I were invited to attend a Candidate luncheon put on by Anchorage Republican Women's Club held at the Petroleum Club.

First impression was I found her to be an Outsider among those in the room.

She and I met and greeted each other and we moved on. I did have the chance to talk about some issue and I found her easily approachable. When it came time for the gubernatorial candidates to speak, I watched as Republican candidate Binkley grabbed the microphone from Sarah and I smiled as she shrugged off his; what I would call not gentlemanly conduct.

What struck me about Governor Palin is, she found her confidence in the Republican platform. Her conservative values are real. And I was impressed with that one point of her speech.

Governor Palin is what I would call that rough stone that needs some polish. And I think that she will compliment McCain and McCain will compliment her.

This is a team in the making and both she and McCain can learn from each other.

No comments: